Friday, December 17, 2010

convention

I am just so grateful for this time at the national coaches convention. It is so nice to just be away first of all and it feels so refreshing to have my spirit for coaching renewed. Today I heard some great speakers . . .

- We started the day with the FCA breakfast. It was so great to hear the speaker share about a coach she wrote a book about while dealing with cancer. It was a great perspective to hear.
- I went to a session presented by the Fresno Pacific coach and so enjoyed his perspective on creating team culture. He also shared about a concept called restorative discipline and how we should really approached problems with players. I so needed to hear that perspective about an issue I am dealing with on my team.
- Terry Pettit is a hall of fame coach and a wonderful speaker. He presented a session on setting training with deliberate practice. I could've listened to him all day . . . such a great perspective on the game and an amazing speaker!
- Longtime coaches Russ Rose and Terry Lyschevich (sp?) did one of the presentations and their perspective was so unique. Plus Coach Rose is a hoot and kept us all laughing!
- Lastly, Steve Florio from IPFW gave a great presentation on how to get your players to think deeper and talk more effectively . . . right up my alley and he did a great job.

As a volleyball nerd, this is all obviously right up my alley. I've also enjoyed the conversations with colleagues and the ladies I'm staying with. It's been great hanging out with Brittany. We get each other very well and I appreciate her very much.

This is something I've always wanted to experience and I'm loving it. Very grateful for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment