Sunday, January 16, 2011

a wonderful woman

The holiday season is the time of year that I really fall away from much reflection in the written form. My journal has a lot of dust on it and obviously I haven't written on here in a while. I can't pass the opportunity to share my grateful for a very wonderful woman who I just found out passed away on Friday. Her name is Maxine Howard. She and her husband Joe are staples at my church - Wabash Friends. They have worked in the nursery ever since I can remember, but I got especially acquainted with them during my time in 4-H. Maxine worked in the extension office when I was first starting out. Then when I was old enough to be in the queen contest I was able to experience the genuine care of Maxine and her husband Joe. They were on the queen contest board of directors and took such wonderful care of all the young ladies in the contest. This was not a small undertaking as it was not unusual to have at least 30 girls in this contest each summer. My senior year of high school (my 9th year of 4-H) I was fortunate to be selected as the 3rd runner-up on the queen's court. It may not seem like much, but that week of the fair was one of the best weeks of my entire adolescence. We were showered with so much love . . . and had an absolute blast! The following year was my last opportunity to be in 4-H and the queen contest. It was no secret that I had a very strong desire to be selected as queen. That title nor a spot on the court was in the cards for me that summer, which was a hard pill to swallow as a teenager. Needless to say the tears were flowing as I came down from the stage and I remember Maxine as one of the very first people to grab me and remind me of how special I was. Joe was certainly not far behind either. From that point on I have always looked forward to my hugs from the Howards when I was able to attend church. We also exchange Christmas cards every year to stay in touch. I got such a chuckle from my card this year because our return address labels have the name of our house on it - the Ganderson - and that's how Maxine addressed my Christmas card. I am so lucky to have known this wonderful woman, but I know my story is far from unique. It's such a blessing to know that these wonderful people are in this world making such a great impact. I hope you're having one heck of a party in Heaven Maxine!

No comments:

Post a Comment